The all new 2018 World Cup Slalom board range from i-99 is the most innovative range of windsurfing slalom boards ever made.
WCSL 2018 Video presentation
A variety of new and original design and construction features/upgrades are the focus of our new collection.
Designer and shaper Finian Maynard, in close cooperation with our international team of Pascal Toselli, Cyril Moussilmani and Ramon Pastor, has brought to all models, amongst other technical innovations, an all new hydrodynamic back end release system called the ‘V Star Tail’ that gives a new level of ‘slippery’ water release.
The end result is a world-class burst of acceleration and top speed along with amazing control.
The 2018 World Cup Slalom boards are split into three sectors: the high wind, the medium wind and the light wind. 2 models for each category that fit all the needs of our customers.
- Hi Wind – 89 and 99
The 89 and 99 have a more traditional design platform compared to the other models in the range with their wide points slightly further forward and a straighter outline between the straps to help gybing and control when overpowered. They have an inline vee bottom shape in the tail and an increasing vee into the nose with a deep double concave for control and grip/stability in strong winds. The big improvement jump from 2017 to 2018 is in the cut outs: they have a reduced wetted surface area next to the fin, a reduced wetted surface area in the width of the wings on the outside section of the cutouts, and the big performance jump came from what has been called the ‘V-Star Tail’. We took the V tail behind the fin at the last release point and started to play with how much we could take out toward the fin box depending on the board size. Less V-Star cut out for stronger winds and more for lighter winds. The results were fantastic; insane speeds and acceleration. The whole team was super happy with the results!
- Medium Wind – 109 and 119
For the 109 and 119 we did a lot of work into the back foot rail to increase the comfort and also to increases the acceleration at low and high speeds. A lot of work was also done with the entry of the rocker line, in terms of where the board is reacting in the front, to try to keep it very smooth on the releases and also on the back hand with the V-Star tail, which has an increased cut out compared to the smaller boards. The reduction of the wetted surface area next to the tuttle box and also the reduction of the size of the winglets on the side meant only one thing: excellent speed and a new level of acceleration
- Light Wind – 129 and 139 (Foil Proof fin box)
The World Cup Slalom 129 and 139 went through a big design upgrade for 2018. A lot of work was done on trying to increase the control and stability on the water and this was achieved through an all new bottom shape. We have a lot more V in the nose, with extremely deep and large concaves and a bigger inverted V in the tail. As with the other boards in the range, there is a reduction of the wetted surface area around the n and particularly behind the n with the rev- olutionary V-Star tail, which has the biggest cut out on these light wind boards.
Newly designed rear foot pads that raise the toe side of the foot to enable more access to the fin power in light wind and also gain control in the strong winds as the back foot remains stable even in the strongest gusts.
“The testing results were blowing our minds, literally board lengths of speed were gained without any loss of control.
Additionally acceleration was also increased, particularly when the gust arrives as the nose stays down and the hyper speed feeling takes over!
The new range of WCSL boards are the masterpieces of our company, whereby we try to bring the racing car F1 look into our sport with boards that are simply more technically advanced than our competitors.”
- ‘V Star Tail’ n plate release system: Behind the fin is the most critical location to gain or lose performance in modern slalom boards. With our new V Star Tail a new level of understanding has been achieved to create what the team believes is a game changer in terms of the potential to reach massive top speeds and insane acceleration!
- ‘World Cup Vector Cuts’ : It is no secret that the key performance criterium for the modern slalom boards lays mostly in the relationship between the cut- outs design and the scoop rockerline/bottom shape. How a designer combines these three parameters, unlocks the ultimate performance gains available at the World Cup PWA level. Aside from the V Star Tail upgrade, the new cutouts compared to 2017 are re-designed particularly in the ‘fin plate zone’ next to the fin, which has been significantly reduced on all models, and also to the ‘curved wings outside cutout zone’, which has also been made narrower on selected models.
- ‘Foil Proof’ n box (129 & 139 only) : Our exclusive layup foil box is as strong as it gets whilst still being lightweight. You can feel confident to put any foil in any wind into our 129 or 139 WCSL boards.
- Re-designed scoop-rocker lines and vee planforms in all sizes that have increased the top speed, usable power and reactivity of all WCSL models.
- High-precision 5-axis CAD/CAM CNC shape.
- TeXtreme® spread-tow carbon: The real ‘World Cup’ Construction. Our 2018 range of slalom boards are all built ‘how they should be’, whereby we use only the best materials available in the world throughout the construction process. The TeXtreme brand of carbon ber is the #1 leader in high-performance sports constructions and our slalom boards using original TeXtreme fabric on our deck laminations have the highest strength to weight ratio available in the market today.
- ‘Optimised reinforcements’ : No short-cuts, much less cheap glass ber than our competitors inside and outside the PVC sandwich. All key reinforcements throughout the board are carbon, the entire standing area underneath the deck PVC is biax carbon, and the result is a range of slalom boards that are lighter and stronger than 2017!
- 80 kg/m3 PVC full deck and bottom sandwich for a lightweight yet stiff construction.
- Full 100% UD unidirectional carbon bottom layup for maximum stiffness and performance.
|Model||Volume||Length / Width||Weight +\-6%||Box Type||Fins||Sail Range|
|WCSL 89||89||235x61||5.9||Short Tuttle Box||No Fin||4.7/7.0|
|WCSL 99||99||235x63||6.0||Short Tuttle Box||No Fin||5.4/7.8|
|WCSL 109||109||235x70||6.2||Short Tuttle Box||No Fin||6.3/8.6|
|WCSL 119||119||235x72||6.5||Short Tuttle Box||No Fin||7.0/9.0|
|WCSL 129||129||229x83||7.1||Deep Tuttle Box / FOIL PROOF||No Fin||7.8/9.8|
|WCSL 139||139||229x85||7.4||Deep Tuttle Box / FOIL PROOF||No Fin||8.4/10.5|